Here is a little backstory...
ECM began as a university-student ministry by the First Presbyterian Church (Lawrence) and the Board of Education of the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in the U.S. in 1905. This was one of the earliest ministries with higher education established by the Presbyterian Church. After being based in several locations, Westminster Hall was established on campus at 13th and Oread in 1930’s. A new location for Westminster Hall was dedicated in 1960 at 12th and Oread. It was funded by the Presbyterian Synod of Kansas, due in large part to the efforts of the Rev. John Patton, Campus Minister from 1940-61. It is site of present campus ministry center.
In the 1960’s, Westminster House became known as the United Campus Christian Fellowship. This was in keeping with the first ecumenical endeavor, outside of the YMCA/YWCA, among “mainline” denominations after the 1940’s. Denominational partners of UCCF were Presbyterian, Christian (Disciples of Christ), and United Church of Christ. With the demise of UCCF and withdrawal of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), the United Methodist and Church of the Brethren denominations joined in what became known as the United Ministries in Higher Education or UMHE. In the 1970’s, the name became Ecumenical Christian Ministries. The United Methodists withdrew in 1989, with the Oread Friends (Quaker) joining in 2000. In May 2011, The Lawrence Unitarian Fellowship joined the ECM covenant. ECM is now made possible through the generosity of many individuals, the Synod of Mid-America (Presbyterian Church, USA), the Kansas-Oklahoma Conference (United Church of Christ), along with the following congregations: First Presbyterian Church, West Side Presbyterian Church, and Plymouth Congregational United Church of Christ, and Oread Society of Friends (Quaker), Unitarian Fellowship (Lawrence), and Lone Star Church of the Brethren (Lone Star), and St. Paul’s United Church of Christ in (Eudora).
In July 2011, the board officialy changed the name to Ecumenical Campus (previously Christian) Ministries. This was officially (legally) completed in June 2012.
In the summer of 2008, the Synod of Mid-America, which had owned the building, deeded it to the local board and the board of ECM unanimously agreed in 2009 to conduct a capital campaign to restore, renovate, and repair the ECM Center. Built in 1960, the building was nominated and then listed on the Lawrence, Kansas, and National Registry Historic Places. The recognition was for architectural significance and the important role in social/political history ECM was involved with in the 1960s-70s. The goal of 832,000 was reached by May 24th, 2011, after 2 years and one month.